gunsmiths

---------

From: Doris Wilbur (wilburd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 17:15:13 PST

Re: guns...yikes!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dennis Freeman
  To: ArtsEdNet Talk
  Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2002 1:37 PM
  Subject: Re: guns...yikes!

  Dennis...whoa, before you shoot me down...I'm a country girl and we did own a beautiful flintlock from my husband's grandfather until someone broke into our home and took it. I certainly have come to believe over the years that we must thin out the deer population after having two car accidents with them. But, when most of the boys jumped on the choice of gunsmith for their colonial sign faster than a frog on a fly I was surprised and disappointed. Then I became concerned that - one...they really, really might be exposed to too much violence, two...how is the administration, parents and rest of school going to view this project now, maybe I've opened up a controversy, three...There's limited variety among the boys choices in the results of my careful lesson planning...four, I still find it unsettling that 4th grade boys could own 3 or 4 guns. I mean these are the kids that still tip back in their chairs, trip a buddy walking by, or poke him with a pencil! My boys had to take hunters safety lessons and couldn't do that until they were 12 years old, not fourth grade. Personally I don't want any weapons in the art my students make. Just looking for ideas on how to handle what might come at me when these signs go home. Or how experienced art teachers would have handled this problem. Got lots of helpful ideas, especially limit it to 1 person for each trade. I do appreciate your opinion. Doris

---