Re: guns...yikes! (Dennis)

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 16:36:33 PST

hahahaha....Dennis, you're a hoot!

My superintendent is a gun dealer. How 'bout that one! And, he was going
to convert an Enfield into a 45/70 for me with a composite stock to create
the ultimate brush gun, however...he just got a great deal on Marlin 1895
45/70 "The Guide" ported van BOOOOoommm barrel! Lookn' forward to that
gorgeous walnut stock, cowboy era piece.

Talk about politically incorrect as well, living in the northwoods, I just
paid a friend of mine boocoup bucks to make me a full coyote skin hat, with
legs dangling down. Just like the rendevous buckskinners we have so many of
around here. Looks gorgeous. These were crafts people were historically
quite proud of. Here people do practice throwing the axe...making antler
handled knives, etc; and admire clothing made as did pioneers/trappers and
settlers of yesteryear. In fact...our tourism up here thrives on all that
sort of thing.

In fact....people might be dern right scare't ta com on up in deez hera
pards, because during the fall most our high school teens are not far from a
gun for the purpose of hunting upland birds, deer, you name it. Or a bow.
Most parents here have their kids out shootn' by at least eight years of
age...some claiming illegally to have already harvested one. Kids talk
though, you know!

However, I can appreciate the fears of many in bigger urban areas where it
comes to guns. I grew up with a father that retired from a bigger city
Police Department, and I've lived to see a few things... But, consider this
here at least for Wisconsin and Minnesota- about 900,000 hunters hit the
woods with guns for about nine to 14 days to hunt deer. Of that period,
perhaps there are 3-4 average gun shooting accidents, mostly someone
shooting themselves in the foot. There are a few more deaths, but of the
heartache variety of some that probably would have had a heartache
regardless. Its actually safer being in our woods with guys runnin' around
with high powered rifles for nine days between the two states than being in
a car on our state highways!

Aaah, but back to art...Dennis is right, for those that enjoy the lore of
it, there is a great thing of beauty in the engineering, the woods,
craftsmanship, etc;

My first year here let me know right off that I was going to enjoy it. A
young man, a junior...brought in a ten point Texas mount whitetail to add to
our still life display. A "Texas Mount" is where the skull is not covered
with the cape of a hide...but is a bone white skeleton (from bleaching) with
the nice varnished/polished antlers. Some nice charcoal stills came out of
that class.
-Larry

---