Brushes to buy

---------

From: Marcia Scurfield (mkscurfield_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 16:24:16 PST

Dear Gail and ArtsEdNetters,

I just bought some brushes for my elementary school that I think I'm going to like very much.

http://www.mollyhawkins.com/bigkids.htm

They have taklon bristles and acrylic handles. I have always thought that watercolor brushes were too soft for tempera and bristles brushes were too coarse. These seem to have good spring and a sharp stroke. Tomorrow my classes are going to use the flats to paint the Olympic pictograms, so I can give you a better report then. We used the rounds this week and the kids really seemed to like them. My only problem--I think I'm going to want classroom sets in a number of sizes. I have been cleaning them with extra care. They seem to clean easily with soap and water--tempera paint is so sticky.

The other day I found in WalMart's craft department "Westwater 4 Kids" 5 piece brush assortment for $3.49--3 rounds: 000, 1 and 5 and 2 flats: 4 and 5/8. They look very similar to the Big Kids Choice brushes and I wanted more flats for my pictograms project.

Marcia, Derby, KS

---