Re: wind chimes

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilensk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 15:05:07 PST

Here is what I have come up with as far as making windchimes is concerned:
First of all, I have made clay windchimes for several years, and for several years have torn my hair out getting each kids chime back to them (each kid would make 4), getting them glazed on both sides( wire stilts), and getting them assembled.

Last year, I had a revelation and found a company that sold aluminum windchime bars at around .29 cents each, depending on key and size. You need four chimes per unit, each a different key to make a decent sound. You can ask the company for advice--just tell them exactly what you are doing, and they will tell you what you need. I made a fatal mistake last year and used fishing line to tie them to the inverted pinch pot "bell"--too hard for fourth graders to tie, and they untie themselves on
occasion! This year, I plan on using fine wire, the kind crafters use for those geometric designs they put on boards (can't remember their name). The wires are relatively strong and easy to thread through little holes. These sound great, and the kids really like them! So, the moral of the story is, stop beating your head against the kiln wall, and make real chimes work for you! Hope this helps. Jerry

---