Re: Metal Repousse with 4th Graders

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 13:12:03 PST

Hi Jodi,
The way I do repousse is:( basic process)
Have student draw idea, trace idea on tracing paper, tape tracing paper to
foil w/masking tape, trace over drawing w/ pencil, use the ends of sharpie
markers( with tops on) to raise the surface from the back, or recess from the
front; add textrue w/ scratch sticks, cover w/ india ink, let dry, and steel
wool off ink, mount on matt board.
Things I caution about: Don't press too hard, they can always go back amd
raise more, but they can't take the relief out once done, also, hold the
sharpies like a tool ( shovel?) and at no greater than a 45 degree angle. I
usually do this with 6th-
I would keep the design very simple for 4th. ( In 4th, I have them use the
foil to do punched tin designs- )
Betsy

Jodi Ascunce wrote:

> I'm a new teacher who has never done repousse before, but I have a lot of
> 5" x 5" copper foil that would be good for it. I just need tips on the
> p---

---