RE: Clay projects - high school

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 10:44:54 PST

Jackie wrote:

"I am bored with the simple pinch, slab, and coil projects. They all turn
into simple vases, bowls, or trash containers. I have even tried the
abstract approach but still get nothing. Anyone have any exciting
approaches for Art I students."
I get the most creative works when I relate the ceramics project to a
culture - take the art history approach. I get ideas for projects by
looking at ceramics from around the world. I have several ceramic lesson
plans on my site that could be adapted to high school:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/artlessons.htm

You will also get ideas by checking my ceramics links page:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/ceramics.htm
Lesson plans at bottom of the page:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/ceramics.htm#LESSON

Take a look at:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Sampler/g.html

Here is a list of ideas:
pre-Columbian inspired figures (draped slab and pinch method)
Renaissance inspired relief sculpture
pressed coil - with symbolism (small slabs added in with coils - to
represent family and self)
Tlingit inspired totem boxes
coil vessels inspired by human figure
Personal slab shines
slab house - paying tribute to artist of choice
sculptural tea pots (coffee pots)
Rattles - group of three related forms
Traditional coil with surface decoration (exploring decorative glazing,
carving techniques)
Empty Bowl project (fund raiser for soup kitchens -- sell bowls)
African inspired portrait vessels (coil method)
African inspired slab boxes - could have face mold on lid for spirit
vessel.
Pre-Columbian inspired slab portrait vessels (large relief face on front).
clay whistles.
Egyptian inspired cartouche boxes
Robert Arneson inspired self portraits.

Hope this helps,