plaster hand results/lesson

---------

From: Cindi Hiers (suwanneecrew_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 07:23:41 PST

Boy what an experience this was!! I do not have
plaster strips so the students were to either make a
mold using clay or aluminum foil(wow to foil-
Impressionistic results), press their hand in liquid
plaster (because I had a students with a broken arm I
include this one), or pour plaster in a plastic
glove/form their expression. Examples of the results
of these methods was shown on the over head (printed
on transparency paper from images on-line---thanks
Kevin/Bunki/Judy and google), Rodin and Arp works were
also shown and discussed. I pulled ideas from all who
responded to my question and put together this
excellent lesson on showing emotion in sculpture. The
students FINALLY did a lesson nice and slow (maybe
thanks to the fragile state plaster gets in--it
breaks/chips easy) and the results were incredible. I
have extended the lesson until Tuesday to be finished,
many need to be painted yet (tempra/clear coat, spray
paint, shoe polish, left natural/clear coat). I wish I
had the set-up (know how/time??) to show you all, but
I don't so sorry for this long post. I have students
who are also in shop, one student added metal posts to
his fingers that broke off (he didn't have the
patience to use liquid plaster to stick them back
on--he used the glove method), let the posts show, and
put his broken finger tips pointed up on his wood base
(he has had an accident with an electric saw--cut his
leg). All students had to put their hand on a base
(had wood or ceramic slabs in class) or put cloth on
the base if it is free standing. One female student
put fake fingernails on hers--really cool! Critique is
Thursday and the students are LOOKING FORWARD to it,
anxious to show their stuff. On the negative side,
plaster is a pistol to work with---a mess!! I was the
mixer/pourer, wouldn't have it any other way, me-my
tables-and my work area were trashed (a clean-up for
me, I would NOT expect my custodian to do this)! I had
2 buckets by my sink, one for dumping old
plaster/rinsing containers, and the other for students
to do a 1st wash on their hands. I could see my sink
getting very stopped up with this otherwise. Sorry for
the long post, lots more to say but if you are
interested email me directly and I will be glad to
share more. 60 students in 3D, 60 emotional hands!!
Great lesson :) Cindi from Fl