to Gina RE brushes

---------

From: Menninghaus Randy (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 04:47:26 PST

I feel brush health is very important.

I the past 20 years that I have taught I have: hung the ruined brushes over
my desk like a mobile.... It is a tangible reminder.

I have drilled into a block of wood and had a set of brushes ( some kids
will still try to jam the head of the brush in the sole instead of the
handle.

I stand by the sink during the first few days of clean up.

I have saved the ruined brushes/and or bought REALLY cheap brushes.. and
put those out for a while...Kids DON"T LIKE the ruined or cheap ones. That
sometimes gets the message.

I have color coded sets of brushes and had one for each class... that
sometimes helps.

I have labeled the ends of the brushes with a #number on masked tape and
tried to narrow down suspects.

Kids have: switched to throwing brushes out /or tossing them behind
furniture..rather than clean them ( so I check the trash carefully the first few
days...) Ultimately... the other members of the class who do clean brushes
are your best allies... REally continuing to stress that we all use the
brushes... and everyone needs to remind people who "forget "to clean that they
are hurting everyone. Keep going.... Lots of this stuff goes away when they see
you really mean it.

--- Menninghaus Randy

---