Re: dealing with loss

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 05:58:36 PST

In a message dated 02/22/2002 12:14:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
acarolan@inland.k12.mi.us writes:

> Also, you could ask what
> they believe, as long as you don't teach religion, you can allow them to
> share their faith and hope, their belief in the hereafter, etc.

Unless you teach Art and Theology in a private religious school I would stay
away from "allowing" them to share their religious beliefs by facilitating a
discussion of this kind. However, as their art teacher I think it would be
both appropriate and perhaps therapeutic, to put on some beautiful classical
music and have the class paint to the music. This way you would be using art
as a universal language. It would also be a means for the students to connect
with their feelings and innerself in a way that words can not.
Susan on Long Island

---