Re: Assessment for Jamie (Woody and all)

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 14:24:03 PST

Judy Decker wrote:

> With Discipline Based Art Education, studio production is only a part of
> the grade. Woody, I bet you do much of the above with your students too -
> to some degree.
>
> Judy

Assessment in Art is an ongoing thing, the students and I are
continually making
judgments about how the work is progressing. Hopefully I can steer them
to be
aware of the "criteria" I set for that day or for the overall project.
What I hate
about rubrics is the detailing of what an acceptable, unacceptable or
inferior work
looks like. I prefer to describe only the exceptional qualities and have students
shoot for those. There are too many different levels of ability in my
classes to
set one standard. As I have often said: "The true measure of success is
the size
of the smile on a child's face."
                                                                Woody in KC

--