Re: dealing with loss

---------

From: Ann Carolan (acarolan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 08:06:42 PST

I'm so sorry to hear this. There is nothing so devastating as the loss of
a child. In my experience, as a teacher and counselor, I have found it
very healing to allow students to talk about their feelings, not
overboard, but with direction from you. And you can talk about how it is
common to feel anger, sadness, grief, fear, etc. Also, you could ask what
they believe, as long as you don't teach religion, you can allow them to
share their faith and hope, their belief in the hereafter, etc. Then I
usually direct them to make cards for the family or some other memorial to
help them reach a sense of completion.

My prayers go with you all,
Ann Carolan

---