Assessment for Jamie (Woody and all)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 08:46:01 PST

Woody and all....What questions would you suggest for Jamie's survey?

> Include questions about behavior -
> Include questions on writing/art criticism -
> Include a question about "traditional" testing -
> Do you use rubrics to evaluate art? Do you involve
> the students in establishing criteria for the rubric?
> Question: How do you use self assessment in your classrooms?

These were SUGGESTED as questions for a survey that Jamie is creating to
have high school art teachers answer for her research project. I do all of
these things in my classroom (to some degree). Students evaluate their own
behavior using a Rubric -- works quite well -- and for the most part they
are honest (I circulate around the room as they do it so they know
immediately what I think, too).
I give written assignments (including Internet worksheets) a holistic grade
(I make grading written work as easy as possible). Traditional testing
covers art vocabulary/concepts and is graded with the Scan-tron (very quick
and easy). Most of us do grade art work using a rubric. My students grade
their own art work using a rubric - I grade after they do.It takes less
than one class period for students to evaluate their behavior and grade
their art work (done in the same class period). Having students grade their
work first cuts down on the time it takes me to grade their work (and
students have immediate feedback as I talk to each student as they grade).
Some of my Rubrics may be found at:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/yearplan.htm (bottom of the page)

What questions would you suggest Jamie include in her survey? All of my
suggested questions come from discussions we have had on this list. Since
much of the art grade we give is subjective, I feel we need to show how the
grade was determined. Doing the suggestions listed above takes the mystery
out of the grade.
With Discipline Based Art Education, studio production is only a part of
the grade. Woody, I bet you do much of the above with your students too -
to some degree.

Judy

---