Re: are you public schools/ re fees

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 08:16:32 PST

> Menninghaus Randy wrote:
>
> As you all reply to the strand about fees... the schools with art
> fees. ...are you public ? In the school just across the river from us,
> the students are not expected to buy anything. You cannot ask them to
> even buy a notebook.

My school is on the same side of that river. It has to do with the
federal guidelines for free and reduced meals. The vast majority of
our students receive free breakfast and lunch, all the students,
including hospital staffs' and teachers' kids (we're on a reservation)
eat for free. According to the federal guidelines, the students are not
required to buy any of their school supplies, nor can we charge a fee
because of their SES status. Of course, many of them have the money to
buy $60 tee-shirts and $150 shoes, and throw a lot of money into the
vending machines. I order and give all the 2D and Drawing students two
drawing pencils and an eraser, and if they lose it, I do require them to
buy a new one.

Maggie

---