Re: Emergency Value Drawing Plans....

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 08:07:57 PST

Badwtl@aol.com wrote:

> <snip> does anyone
> have a good lesson plan that doesn't require much direction.....the
> sub has no art experience.....I left them with a value drawing last
> week, and I think they will be done with it.<snip>

I copped this idea from someone on the list; I apologize for not
remembering who had posted it (please let us know!). It's been a great
beginning lesson for creating a gradation of values and using the
techniques properly, without the anxiety of having to draw an object:

Draw very lightly a pattern of five lines and two circles or arcs. Each
section will have a value gradation using one of the techniques they
learned (hatching, cross-hatching, or tonal). They will use the same
technique throughout. Each edge will contrast in value with the
adjacent one; in other words, if there is a dark value in the corner of
one section, there will be a lighter value in the section that is right
next to it. This assignment takes a little planning ahead on their
part, where they will place the values so they contrast. The big trick
is to make the values define the edges, not outlines.

Maggie

---