more Georgia O'Keeffe

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 17:39:45 PST

I do a lesson with 4th graders that always turns out great-one of those
lessons where everybody ends up with a piece that Mom would like to
frame. After a study of O'Keeffe and viewing lots of prints , students
draw very large flowers (2 overlapping) with white chalk on black paper.
They do thumbnail sketches in their sketchbboks first to practice
getting the rounded petals. After they draw the outlines of the flowers,
they choose three pieces of colored chalk from the same color
family-red, orange ,yellow or blue, violet, red,etc... Start with the
first chalk and color 1/3 of the petals all the way around the flower.
With the second color, do another 1/3 of all the petals. With the last
chalk fill in the last 1/3 of the petals. Last step (with a damp paper
towel handy) smudge the petal from the center out towards the end with
your thumb. Go all the way around the flower smudging the same
direction- from the center. Caution them about smudging aback and
forth-it will muddy the color. When done correctly it makes a beautiful
natural looking flower. I spray them with hairspray for fix. They always
turn out great. Hope this was understandable!
              Jeryl

---