modge podge

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 16:22:12 PST

Hi!
  I'm catching up on posts so forgive me if this has already been
discussed and I haven't gotten to it yet, but..what exactly is modge
podge and how do you use it? I read the post about the shell lesson plan
but I had vague thoughts that modge podge had to do with decoupage. I've
started a lesson with my fifth grades centered around the art of Leroy
Neiman. We've looked at tons of his prints especially the sports related
ones. They have been practicing sketches of atheletes (using a Draw
Sports Figures book) and now are drawing their final choice with pencil
large on 12 x 18 paper. I haven't really thought this all out but I
really need to keep ahead of them. I thought they would outline with
sharpies and then watercolor or marker. I'm a little stuck on how to get
the great swatches of color in the background that are Neiman
trademarks. Would modge podging the figure and then watercoloring the
back work? Any thoughts? I don't have much experience with printing and
can't think of a way to imitate screen printing with 5th graders. I hav
faith that someone will have a good idea! My great news for the
week...an Office Max near us is closing and they are selling fixtures. I
saw two really great rolling wire basket carts with 5 stackable
baskets-about 5 feet tall. My principal ok'd the purchase and I got them
for $70.00! I can fit all my supplies-crayons, chalk, rulers,markers,
etc. in one of them!! News only an art teacher would love!
                 Jeryl in SC

---