Re: Copyright & Plagiarism

---------

From: Justin Kramer (justkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 04:11:00 PST

on 21/2/02 3:04 PM, Marvin P Bartel at marvinpb@goshen.edu wrote:

In my opinion NOT ONE of these can be used to defend
> copywork in an art class in K-12.

If the issue is copyright then lets look at it. Copyright mainly refers to
the right of reproducing anothers intellectual propriety within a set time
period and protecting it from unauthorised use. For most artworks it is 100
years but for electronic and photographic images it is 10 years. So if that
is the case, is it then okay after that time period has lapsed? In regards
to this law then the answer is yes. Should our teaching on this reflect
society and its law?

Or is the issue a moral one - thu shall not copy. There have been a few
interesting statements in regards to this. But a far more interesting debate
might be originality. After all, isn't drawing from "life" splitting hairs
with copying from an image, especially as you did not design the items you
are drawing. The process requires the artist to faithfully render what they
are seeing - thus copying.

Context gives meaning. The syllabus which I will draw my response from
states that a resolved student artwork that structures its self solely on
copying or stereotypical imagery will attracts a limited level of
achievement or D from an A - E rating. In the E rating the student just can
not apply any processes without constant direction. In examining this
statement it refers to the entirity of the work not a minor section, for
example the whole work was a direct mediated copy from another work exterior
to the student. This is mainly looked upon in regards to innovation and
application of design elements and principles for development and resolution
of an artwork. Not seen as cheating but as lack of ability.

    Part of our job is to produce informed, honest citizens.

I guess I missed something along the way in relationship to this issue. When
has copying equalled dishonesty and cheating? Afterall isn't part of child
development and the learning process based on mimicing or copying others? As
previously stated - context gives meaning.

A few more thoughts from the tropics

Justin

---