guns...yikes!

---------

From: Doris Wilbur (wilburd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 16:23:34 PST

I'm concerned. 4th grade is working on colonial signs and way too many boys have picked the gunsmith as their trade. They had a long list of occupations we went over, but that was their choice. I've insisted it be a flintlock rifle or flintlock pistol, but still don't like the images in my artroom. It has become a springboard for discussion about why we don't need so many guns now, (we have supermarkets, a police force, an army). When I asked my class today how many had guns in their homes all but 3 raised their hands. Some said they had as many as 7 guns in the house! I do live in a rural, hunting area, but it's disturbing to me. Has anyone of you had to deal with guns in artwork? I fear also that there will be other problems with this lesson yet. I'm not hanging those signs in the hallway I think. Should I have said you can do any of these trades except the gunsmith? I'm new at teaching and still learning my job. Thanks....Doris in rural NY

---