Re: Plagiarism

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 11:03:52 PST

In a message dated 02/19/2002 2:05:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
justkramer@byte-tsv.net.au writes:

> In dealing with this I explore the terms fake, copy and appropriation. To
> appropriate or borrow imagery from another artwork will result in a
> connection to it, i.e. its baggage. Would this require a greater
> understanding of the original artwork and its context and/or purpose?

Justin, you made good and valid points throughout your response. Years ago I
saw a comprehensive exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston of Picasso
from age 12-91. I was surprised to see how many famous artists Picasso had
"copied" in his earlier days of creating art. His paintings much more than
just reflected the style of Rembrant, El Greco, Cezanne- they looked like
clones! Seeing through the eyes of others in practicing his art, certainly
proved not to be so bad in Picasso's case. In the case of our students, I
think they, too, need frames of reference. IMO, pictures, objects, prints,
anything that inspires, is appropriate.

However, I do have a couple of adversions: One is TRACING- anything other
than one's art, unless it has a specific goal within the artwork, ( as in
Photo-Realism). The other is COPYING (not in the style of, but exactly) for
example, a cartoon figure or action figure. As I have described before, if I
see a student try this, I break out in my itching-twitching ritual-
dance/jump around scratching, blinking, and squirming. I claim to be highly
allergic to tracing.
Susan on Long Island

---