Re: Clay body and slip

---------

From: V Moreira Komando (komandov_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 09:09:51 PST

I have shown the excellent video With Hand and Heart (Mystic Fire Video), when I have introduced Native American Pottery to my students in the beginning 3D class. The kids then make a vessel using the pinch pot method, slab, method, or coil method. When the pot is leather hard, they paint on a layer of slip. If they have used white clay, they paint red slip over the clay, and vice versa. Running a damp sponge over the surface when it is close to leather hard can smooth the slip out. In between making the pot and carving, I have them draw geometric patterns and animal (i.e. lizards, birds) or nature (i.e. lightning) motifs that they can carve as their design into the pot. We use exacto knives or pin tools for the carving. The slip does NOT have to be applied in a thick layer. You can draw with a regular pencil onto the pots or lay your pattern over the clay and trace it into the clay with a pencil. The kids have made some wonderful designs and the pots look great when fired.

I do not know if this is the correct way to apply the slip or for this type of technique - but it works for us.

~^~

Vivian

"From: "Susan Bennett" <sbennett@erinet.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:13:21 -0500

Hi have any of you tried glazing or coating one clay body with a slip
of
another clay body as seen in Natvie American pottery? What is the
procedure? Should the first clay body be bisqued first? Or if not how
do
you keep the first clay body from getting streaked into the slip of the
second? Susan in Ohio"

Increase the Peace ~^~

http://members.home.net/artzheart/index.html