Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Masa recreativa (funclay)

From: MaryAnn Kohl (maryann_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 00:23:23 PST

Hi, Everyone. You haven't heard much from me lately, as I have been deep in
working on translating my ol' book, Mudworks, from English to
come out with a Bilingual Edition soon. (it's a month late!) Hope to get it
off to the printer by the end of the week. Arrrrr.

ANYWAY, thought I would share one of the projects from chapter 1:
Masa recreativa or Funclay.

I am giving you both translations...
Hope you enjoy it! It's a nice clay--- suave, masa blanca, buena para hacer
animales --- (smooth, white dough ­ good for making animals).

Maybe some of your art students who are studying Spanish might enjoy
this...or some kids might find it fun to "break the code" by reading the
Spanish and trying to guess what it says, then checking the English. They
catch on fast, especially if they get to make the dough as a reward.

PS Spanish is first, followed by same project in English (in case you
couldn't guess!)

Masa recreativa

acuarelas, témperas, papel encerado
1 taza (250 ml) de sal
1Ž2 taza (125 ml) de almidón de maíz
1 taza (250 ml) de agua hirviendo
paño húmedo

   1. mezcle todos los ingredientes en una cacerola
   2. hierva hasta que forme un bollo suave
   3. amase sobre papel encerado hasta que adquiera
           contextura de masa
   4. envuelva en trapo húmedo para conservarla por unos pocos días
   5. sosteniendo un trozo de arcilla en las manos, estire formando
           o brazos, y cabeza y cola
   6. deje que los animales se sequen y luego píntelos

   € haga diseños de forma libre
   € haga ornamentos para días festivos o cumpleaños

water colors, tempera paints, wax paper
1 cup (250 ml) salt
1Ž2 cup (125 ml) cornstarch
1 cup (250 ml) boiling water
wet cloth

   1. mix all ingredients in a pan
   2. boil to a soft ball stage
   3. knead on wax paper until dough-like
   4. wrap in wet cloth to keep for a few days
   5. by holding a lump of clay in hands,
           pull out the clay to make legs or arms and head and tail from one
   6. let animals dry and then paint

   € make free-form designs
   € make ornaments for holidays or birthdays

MaryAnn F. Kohl
Bright Ring Publishing, Inc.
PO Box 31338
Bellingham, WA 98228-3338