Re: Plagiarism

---------

From: Justin Kramer (justkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 23:11:58 PST

My concern with this issue, especially in reading the replys about 'lifting'
images is the context of the practice. I agree with the statement on 'human
xerox machines' however there is a very valid history of artists copying
artworks, i.e. "the masters" as an academic exercise.

The task of mediation, reproducing an image with another medium has also
become a contemporary practice, e.g. Lictenstein, Warhol, Jeff Koons, Julian
Schnabel - just about all of their imagery was 'lifted'. This debate opens a
whole can of worms in relationship to post-modernism. In addition, alot of
the artworks as apraised as original contain compositions and images that
have been 'lifted' and not all have their origins referenced, e.g. Picasso,
Manet.

Question for art teachers who do not allow student to 'lift' imagery. When
writing an essay, for example in English, or even better in art, is okay to
have quotes?

If your answer is yes, then why is it so affronting to quote visually if it
is okay to do so verbally?

In dealing with this I explore the terms fake, copy and appropriation. To
appropriate or borrow imagery from another artwork will result in a
connection to it, i.e. its baggage. Would this require a greater
understanding of the original artwork and its context and/or purpose?

Becareful how you overlay the biology example onto art. By doing so, you may
not be able to validate a lot of twentieth century art.

Just a thought from the tropics

Justin

---