Re: hate crime activities

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 18:02:23 PST

I have to agree with all of you on your responses to
Steven- I too, would not go there.
To those of you questioning Steven's legitimacy since
he has not responded- his name is familiar and I think
he is a senior at Appalachian State. Steven, are you
out there? Do I have the right person?
Another reason why I feel like Steven is an ASU
student is because of the nature of the question. When
I was a student there I was encouraged to consider
social issues, and I too, had the idea that teaching
art would help me change the world and enlighten all
of my students with my politically correct values. Now
as a second year teacher, I know when to keep my mouth
shut. One of the best things about teaching is that
students can really surprise you with thier higher
order thoughts, and sometimes it is best to let them
initiate any conversation that may be construed as
controversial. I definitely would not push any issue,
and take a back seat to any discussion that could
ruffle feathers. I prefer to focus my lessons on
process and history rather than social issues. I just
feel more comfortable that way. (I never thought I
would say that until I got out here in the trenches
and learned what it is really like!)

Jayna