Emotional plaster hand lesson!

---------

From: Cindi Hiers (suwanneecrew_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 16:47:23 PST

I am in process with my 1st year 3D students in their
plaster hand lesson and thought I'd share it with you.
First I had the student draw their hand (contour if
necessary) in an emotional state.Then I discussed with
the students the different processes they could choose
from to get a plaster hand. These processes ranged
from an imprint to filling a glove to clay molding. I
liked the variety for my many confidence levels. Today
we pulled clay/foil, peeled gloves and turned over
imprints. Some fingers broke, but were easily fixed
with a plaster mix adhesive. The students were to
mount their hands on a flat surface, which they had
many to choose from with "stuff" laying around my room
(we used plaster as an adhesive again). The kids are
really enjoying it! I am very impressed with many of
the hands, the ones who molded theirs from aluminum
foil are my favorite. I am sorry I can't share
visuals, and I will keep you informed when the project
is totally done (this Friday) including the
paint/sandpaper/chipping. A critique is to follow on
Tuesday. Thanks to all of you for your input. Plaster
is a MESS to work with, and I have to move very
fast--YIKES!! Peace, Cindi