Re: What to do with alot of slip?

---------

AnMStringe_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 14:42:50 PST

In a message dated 2/18/02 11:13:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sbennett@erinet.com writes:

> Hi have any of you tried glazing or coating one clay body with a slip of
> another clay body as seen in Natvie American pottery? What is the
> procedure? Should the first clay body be bisqued first? Or if not how do
> you keep the first clay body from getting streaked into the slip of the
> second? Susan in Ohio

Yes......... I have done a great project with 3rd graders. We read When Clay
Sings
and watch a short segment from an old Reading Rainbow that demonstrates
Pueblo pottery ( I think it is The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush). I do a
demonstration on making coil pots. The next week they make a small coil pot
and when finished coat the out side of the smoothed surface with a colored
slip (I have made slips by mixing recycled clay in an old blender to the
consistency of thick tempera. ) The pots are put away covered with damp
cloths and plastic.
The next week they pratice drawing an design influenced by the illustrations
in the book or on the video on scrap paper . Then these designs are etched on
their pot with a wooden stylus. I check on the pots through out the week to
make sure they do not dry past the leather hard stage. The pots look
wonderful when bisque fired and can even be glazed with a clear glaze for a
gloss surface.
Ann in Georgia

---