Civil Rights

---------

From: Steven (salmon4me_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 09:06:13 PST

I have read everything that has been sent to me and all the messages on
the artsed listserv as well. I've decided to steer away from such a
controversial topic with such a large class. Instead, I've decided to do
a project about the students' cultural heritage. They're going to create
a sculpture that expresses a certain tradition from their cultural past
and combine this with a tradition in their family that is still well and
alive today. It's more of an abstract thought at the moment, but give me
a day or two and it'll all be out of my head and onto some paper. I still
plan to use the idea about hate crimes and civil rights. I don't think
there's any better time than now to explore it with an advanced art class.
There are only a handful of kids in the advanced class(less than 10)and
their art is conceptually well advanced. I'm going to have each student
research a specific hate crime and create a piece in reaction to it.
Again, abstract idea, but I've been working on it for a few days now.
Thanks for all your help.

---