Re: Getting Them Into the Museum on Field Trips, Etc.

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 19:12:27 PST

In a message dated 02/17/2002 7:22:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Marbeth2@aol.com writes:

> I need help in 2 areas.....1.What activities, lessons, hands on acitivties
> can I do to encourage teachers to go to the museum? 2. These activities
> need to apply to any museum or art. A broad base for the activities that
> can be tailor made to fit whatever art work is up.

Hi, Martha,
I'm not exactly sure what you are requesting. Will classroom teachers be
teaching art lessons? Do you have a trained (certified?)art teacher in your
school to do this? Can't she/he coordinate and help motivate?

I will share with you my approach to my annual field trips to art museums. I
schedule about 2-3 art museum trips a year on different grade levels.
1. I always plan a scavenger hunt in the museum. I go to the exhibit before
the trip and create an interesting variety of things to find among the works.
On the day of the trip, after their tour, I break up the classes into teams.
I give the adult in charge of the group the list to fill in. They must go in
order of the list. I number them differently so the teams are scattered.
Each team has a certain amount of time to complete the hunt. 20-30 min.
works for elementary level. Back on the bus home everyone is excited to
compare notes! Interestingly, the kids remember what they have seen for
years to come.
2. Try to schedule an exhibit that coorelates with what the teachers are
doing in their classrooms. For example, a local museum on Long Island will
feature an exhibit on Spanish artists in the fall. Our 2nd grade students
study Spanish, so I will arrange for them to see this exhibit. I also plan
to base lessons on both the artists featured and the art/crafts from these
countries. IMO, your art teacher should integrate classroom learning with
art room learning.
3. Check if the museum itself has a docent who runs a workshop in the museum
for your students.
4. The classroom teachers and I work together on activities based on museum
trips. They have the students write about how the art makes them feel, or
write a creative story based on a favorite painting or sculpture in the
museum. In the case of the Spanish exhibit, our foreign language teacher
will base her lessons on what the kids see at this exhibit.

Your school is certainly lucky to have a librarian who is so interested in
futhering the cause for art and art education. Hope my suggestions help.
Good luck.
Susan on Long Island

---