Re: hate crime activities...hummmmm

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 14:17:11 PST

I have the rule "If you can't wear it on a t-shirt to school, then you can't
use it in your artwork". I do censor the students, which some may say
stifles their creativity, but I have found that my students will create the
same old dry tired worn out ideas if I don't stop them. I am sick to death
of reble flags, ashtrays, mushrooms, skulls (not realistic, but more
satanical), beer bottles, cigarettes, etc, etc, etc. Surprisingly, by not
allowing these items it forces students to step out of their box and explore
something new. I am getting ready to add WWF and Pokemon to my list as well!
I'm not sure my lower level students are mature enough to handle sensitive
topics appropriately - if I were to do something controversial at all, it
would be with my upper level students.
~Michal