2002 Olympic Artwork

---------

From: Marcia Scurfield (mkscurfield_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 11:33:56 PST

I had a very successful painting project for primary I wanted to tell you about.

Some small (about the size of film cans) bottles of shocking pink paint were donated to me, but you could do the same thing with dixie cups and magenta paint. I do a lesson on analogous colors with second graders (adapted from a lesson by Marge Banks, Olathe, KS) which these paints were perfect for. I pour half of the little bottle of paint--probably about 2 tablespoons--into a plastic portion cup and give one (mini bottle or cup) to each child. Two students share another portion cup of turquoise blue paint. They paint three, five or seven of a shape (we used hearts) on their 12X18" paper and fill the shape with their hot pink paint. Then they dip just the tip of their brush into the blue paint and stir into the pink, making raspberry. With the new color they paint a concentric ring around each heart. Next they dip a full brush into the blue and stir in to make red violet. Each time they make a new color they paint a concentric ring around the shapes, continuing until they run out of time or space. The next week after the hearts are all dry, we will stamp on the "lace" with white paint and a variety of found objects.

This is a good lesson on mixing analogous colors in itself, but then you end up with all these little bottles of various shades of purple paint. I added a thinned white tempera to them, making icy blues, pinks and purples, plus white. Then the next day I had my primary students K-2 watch about eight minutes of the Olympics Opening Ceremonies. We discussed how the "Child of Light" was being pursued by the "Forces of Winter" and rescued by "The Fire Within". The students then drew this adventure for about ten minutes on light blue paper with oil pastels. I instructed them to draw and color in all of the parts of their picture which weren't white, pink, blue or purple. Then they painted for ten minutes. I had a fine tipped brush in each of the little bottles of paint--about 8 bottles for four kids to share. The paintings were quite good on the whole. Both teacher and students were excited about the success of the lesson.

Marcia, Derby, KS

---