Toaster ovens for Shrink art

---------

From: Marcia Scurfield (mkscurfield_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 10:16:41 PST

Dear Bunki and ArtEdnetters,

My best success with Shrink Art plastic was an activity for a family day for the Wichita Art Museum. The exhibition was of work by William Henry Johnson and we made people pins. Using postcards of people by Johnson for inspiration, children and their parents drew and colored with Prismacolor markers (I was able to find a close-out of "skin colors" for around $.50 per marker). We shrunk these in toaster ovens I purchased at garage sales for about $5 each. The tricky part was finding the teflon sheet for the little toaster oven trays. It is made for dehydrators and can be cut to size with scissors, but it was expensive.

Shrink art, colored with prismacolor markers and dipped in "jewelry glaze" looks like faux cloisoinne enamel! I have made pins for the NAEA with it.

Marcia, Derby, KS