block sheduling 'good stuff'

---------

From: ||LogoHouse.com|| (gosborne_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 10:01:59 PST

> We have block scheduling at our school and have had this scheduling for
the
> past three years<<.
>> I have special needs students who need a lot of attention<<

our block is 90min at the H.S. also,
and kidz for sure work at different speeds,
I also give them the opportunity to work on homework, only if they are done
with their projects. (if a student begs to work on homework if not done with
the project, and I know they are capable, I will even bend and help them
out...The kidz love that too...
I try to be a bit flexible in my class, but at the same time keep a
straightforward set of guidelines. I don't want my class to turn into
homework time, The kidz know that from day one....so they know the routine
from the get-go.

They like that...knowing that opportunity is there, if they are done, and
have nothing to work on, I let them help other kidz, listen to music, but if
they can't do that, I give them one of my wonderful worksheets to complete
as busy work,(they hate those) so they are pretty good about not bothering
kidz that are working....

I also have quite a few special needs kids ( I taught special ed for 5
years), and nearly all of them love my video production class because of the
extra time they have...many of my special needs kidz return during our lunch
homework time and even work throught their lunch...(that's the beauty of the
arts for special needs kids, less pressure per se and they can express
themselves visually)

I usually spend the first 10-15 minutes of class reviewing concepts,
revisiting the assignment objectives and make any other special
announcements. The kidz know the routine, and at about 15-20 minutes, if I
am still talking, they start looking at the clock...They are anxious to get
to their projects (thats great)...and I always hear the question....
"Can we get to work now"?
Right now, my advanced kidz are working on "how to" video projects, One
group is working on "How to get an A in Mr. Osborne's class" It should be
pretty good/humorous too, and I will be able to show it to my Intro Video
class...of course, one of the steps for getting an 'A' is not to ask the
question above "Can we get to work now"? (laughing)

For my program the block schedule is awesome! and allows for a bit of chat
time at the beginning of class and still offers lots of hands on time.....

G. Osborne
www.erhstv.com
www.erhstrack.com
www.puyallup.k12.wa.us/high.emerald