Re: Block Scheduling at Middle School Level--Suggested Models?

---------

From: Kathleen Shilson (kshilson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 11:39:14 PST

We have block scheduling at our school and have had this scheduling for the
past three years.. I can only speak for art.. its been a god send as my high
school students don't have to rush into class to get all their materials
out.. we spend a little time up front to discuss what we did yesterday and
what we are going to do today and tomorrow. We crank-up the radio and the
students work on their projects.. at first it was a little scary.. I thought
"oh my god" how am I going to keep these kids on task for 90 minutes- five
days a week. The kids have adapted.. and so have I. I told the students
there will be at times some downtime especially between projects and allot
of your peers don't work at the same speed. I also told them, to bring in
any homework from other classes that they could work on, while waiting for
another project to be announced and discussed. I have allot of special needs
students who need allot of attention so the block scheduling is really good
for them too. I hope this helps...
Wayne S
High School Art Teacher
Pine River High School,