Hate crimes vs. civil rights and freedom

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 07:58:12 PST

My reaction to Steven's request was the same as Bunki's and all.... I tried
to steer Steven away from hate crimes and focus more on positive things
(like freedoms, rights, etc ---- could include words from Martin Luther
King Jr's "I have a dream" speech). Funny? We haven't heard from Steven any
more on this......So maybe Susan is right (someone just wanted to see our
reactions).

Judy
A repost of my idea:
Are you familiar with the pressed coil method of forming a ceramic vessel?
Use a bowl shape to get the students started with the base of the
vessel....Have them make some small symbols of freedom - rights - peace etc
(could be small slabs with words carved in) to add in with the coils. I did
this project with symbols of their family members a few years ago - I had
them make a minimum of five symbols for themselves and family members. The
pieces were very successful. Coils are rolled up into interesting patterns
and pressed into the plastic bowl (be sure to use a separator - we used
plastic wrap or newspapers). The small symbol/word slabs are fused in
between the rolled up coils. Students extended the vessels up about the
bowls with traditional coil method. Some made lidded containers.

---