Re: hate crime activities...hummmmm

---------

From: Robin Fasciano Gianis (rgianis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 04:53:48 PST

Hi Steven,
I agree with Bunki on this. Too, too, too much for a student teacher to
bite off, given the controversy, etc... on the topic. Save it to explore
down the line.
I have a great lesson on African American history I use (although I use it
with sixth grade, it can easily be adapted). It is on the history of
African slave face vessels in South Carolina. I tie it into their studies
on the African Slave trade in the social studies curriculum. It is a clay
project, it educates students about the art & craft of African American
face vessels ... as well as the meaning behind them... which is
fascinating and linked into American History and the struggle of African
Americans.
In addition, it is a great clay project, hand-building using coils, for
which you will undoubtedly get amazing, expressive & meaningful products
from your students.
There is a lot of info. and photos on the web about these great crafts.

Good Luck,
Robin

---