hate crime activities...hummmmm

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 14:49:11 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "Steven" <salmon4me@yahoo.com>
> I'm a student teacher....a lesson for a beginning clay
> class. I'm trying to incorporate Civil Rights, more specifically hate
> crimes into my lesson. One of my problems is that I have a plethora of
> information on hate crimes relating to gay/lesbian/bi-sexual issues and
> black rights, but I have no real direction with the lesson. I'm looking
> for some ideas or suggestions so that I can bring this into my classroom
> with as little controversy as possible. In other words, I don't want to
> offend any of my students or bring out their sexual/racial leanings in a
> manner that may hurt or offend them. > I would really appreciate any help or
>suggestions concerning a project or> ways to bring the topic into my classroom
>that can be offered.> Thanks,> Steven "Hopes to be a Good Art Teacher" Hoke
**************

Hi, Steven. I'm eager to see what others might say about your topic. I have
a few questions and suggestions...some you might not be looking for.

First...since you are considering this topic, may I assume you are at the
high school level (and is it a public school?). And I'm assuming this is a
younger class if it's "beginning clay"?

My concern is that your cooperating teacher/mentor/lead teacher should be
your first line of support. I would be surprised if your coop teacher has
not steered you away from this controversial topic already.,.knowing what
might be ahead of you. It's difficult enough to do all that you need to
accomplish with your student teaching than to become embroiled in
student/parent/administration/teacher/school board mis-relations.
Remember...what you do will relate back to your coop teacher also. This
could become more of a hot potato than you really want to take on. As an
older teacher with experience, I even have a hard time with my
administration and parent community dealing with other religions...much less
hate crimes, etc. I wouldn't even go there myself knowing what would happen
in my community.

My suggestion...as a student teacher...would be to "save it for your own
future classroom" and play safe at the moment. There are so MANY other
avenues to explore that dropping this topic and adding another one less
volatile...like environment, government, etc...would not lead to possible
student controversy/hurt feelings/personal convictions. Your coop teacher is
more aware of your parent community than I...but I would take my lead from
this person most seriously.

If I were you, I would concentrate more on learning how to become a better
teacher than trying to change the world right now. That can come later when
it's a better time and place and freedom to do such. Right now you need to
concentrate on discipline, classroom management, lesson planning,
researching, critiquing, assessing, and ALL the other mundane but
need-to-know qualities of a good art teacher. Toodles....Bunki

---