Re: hate crime activities...hummmmm

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 19:07:59 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
>>From: "Steven" <salmon4me@yahoo.com>
>> I'm a student teacher....a lesson for a beginning clay
>> class. I'm trying to incorporate Civil Rights, more specifically hate
>> crimes into my lesson. One of my problems is that I have a plethora of
>> information on hate crimes relating to gay/lesbian/bi-sexual issues and
>> black rights, but I have no real direction with the lesson. I'm looking
>> for some ideas or suggestions so that I can bring this into my classroom
>> with as little controversy as possible. In other words, I don't want to
>> offend any of my students or bring out their sexual/racial leanings in a
>> manner that may hurt or offend them. > I would really appreciate any help or
>>suggestions concerning a project or> ways to bring the topic into my classroom
>>that can be offered.> Thanks,> Steven "Hopes to be a Good Art Teacher" Hoke
 **************

 Hi, Steven. I'm eager to see what others might say about your topic. I have
 a few questions and suggestions...some you might not be looking for.

 First...since you are considering this topic, may I assume you are at the
 high school level (and is it a public school?). And I'm assuming this is a
 younger aged class if it's "beginning clay"?

 My concern is that your cooperating teacher/mentor/lead teacher should be
 your first line of support. I would be surprised if your coop teacher has
 not steered you away from this controversial topic already.,.knowing what
 might be ahead of you. It's difficult enough to do all that you need to
 accomplish with your student teaching than to become embroiled in
 student/parent/administration/teacher/school board mis-relations.
 Remember...what you do will relate back to your coop teacher also. This
 could become more of a hot potato than you really want to take on. As an
 older teacher with experience, I even have a hard time with my
 administration and parent community dealing with other religions...much
less hate crimes, etc. I wouldn't even go there myself knowing what would
happen in my community.

 My suggestion...as a student teacher...would be to "save it for your own
 future classroom" and play safe at the moment. There are so MANY other
 avenues to explore that dropping this topic and adding another one less
 volatile...like environment, government, etc...would not lead to possible
 student controversy/hurt feelings/personal convictions. Your coop teacher
is more aware of your parent community than I...but I would take my lead
from this person most seriously.

 If I were you, I would concentrate more on learning how to become a better
 teacher than trying to change the world right now. That can come later when
 it's a better time and place and freedom to do such and you've got
experience to back you up for your choice. Right now you probably need to
concentrate on discipline, classroom management, lesson planning,
researching, critiquing, assessing, and ALL the other mundane but
need-to-know qualities of a good art teacher. Toodles....Bunki

---