Civil rights - Ceramics lesson

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 13:59:08 PST

Are you familiar with the pressed coil method of forming a ceramic vessel?
Use a bowl shape to get the students started with the base of the
vessel....Have them make some small symbols of freedom - rights - peace etc
(could be small slabs with words carved in) to add in with the coils. I did
this project with symbols of their family members a few years ago - I had
them make a minimum of five symbols for themselves and family members. The
pieces were very successful. Coils are rolled up into interesting patterns
and pressed into the plastic bowl (be sure to use a separator - we used
plastic wrap or newspapers). The small symbol/word slabs are fused in
between the rolled up coils. Students extended the vessels up about the
bowls with traditional coil method. Some made lidded containers.

Judy Decker

---