Plagiarism

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 10:38:41 PST

I hope you are all aware of the plagiarism scandal in Piper, Kansas

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/14/education/14CHEA.html

Cheating is something that I think about all the time today. As An art
teacher I look at how easily kids "lift" imagery. I look at how many lessons
are fulfilled with less than original imagery.

I think one of our biggest jobs as art educators is to insure original
content and teach an understanding of what is available for deviation and
what is not.

This story from Kansas is about a science project, but it is mostly about
maintaining values.
I read this and think of Enron and the most recent events at the Olympics.

I am very perplexed about a society that is overlooking, and perhaps
throwing up it's hands, because maybe it it is a society that has become to
overwhelmed. And very disturbed by the notion that honesty can be
qualified.

Why I have always loved Art History, what I love to point the kids to, is
that an artist looks at society and reports without cheating

I am so sad that we reward easy answers with, it seems, little consequence.

Patty

---