RE: Block Scheduling at Middle School Level--Suggested Models?

---------

From: Berg, Renee (Renee.Berg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 09:49:53 PST

Irene, I taught High school art for 2 years in a block schedule, I had them
90 min. every other day. I really liked it. So when I went back to Middle
School full time, they started talking block scheduling there too. I balked
at the idea at first, wondering about maturity, but now we have been doing
it for 2 years and the kids, parents and teachers love it. I teach 3 90 min
classes a day, and have 1 90 min. a day for planning. I see the same kids
every other day. I get more taught and I'm not so stressed changing gears
every 50 min. The only problem I have is I might have 3 classes of 25,
which is 75 7th graders at one time( during a sem. time period) and storage
of work becomes a problem or if 75 students are weaving, I don't have 75
looms, so it takes a little rotating of the projects. I honestly would not
want to go back to the 7 period day. Someone asked about students with ADHD
and is it too long for them. Since you have longer time, you can shift gears
about 3 or 4 times during the time to appease those students. I start out
with a 15 to 20 min. Critical thinking drawing activity, review the lesson
next, work on the lesson, clean up and add more detail to the lesson with
historical games, research, discussion. We do not get the days mixed up and
you only have homework for 3 classes a night, not 7 or 8. If you want more
info. mail me privately.

Renee Berg
6th,7th Art and 8th grade Art Tech
Mitchell Public Schools
Mitchell, SD
http://teachers.k12.sd.us/rb043

You wrote:
Our administration keeps TALKING about putting our school on a block
schedule
or flexible schedule, but no one seems to know how to plan it. I would be
interested in hearing about how you (art teachers) like it and how it is
implemented in your building.

---