Re: glazing

---------

From: Marvin P Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 20:39:55 PST

Glazes run if fired too hot, if applied too thick, or if fired too slowly
at the "correct" temperature. Older kiln elements do not fire as fast as
new elements. If the kiln is turned off with a cone in a Kiln Sitter, it
may be out of adjustment (requiring the cone to bend more than average
before it goes off). The outside hook is adjustable using a tiny screw
driver. Kiln Sitters can get gummed up and fail to turn off on time or
ever. I always check to see that the parts move freely prior to each
firing. If the kiln is fired by computerized control, also place a cone in
the kiln to see if the cone is bent the right amount when the kiln turns
off. If the cone melts too much, use a lower setting on the computerized
control.
Marvin Bartel

---