Re: Advisory Period

---------

_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 17:21:56 PST

I can explain what we do in our advisories at our high school. By the way,
we have just switched to the 4-block schedule (we are on a 4-term school
year with each "block" class 85 minutes long). So, this is how my schedule
runs for this third term: First block (my prep period) runs from 7:45-9:10;
second block runs from 9:18-10:42; advisory runs from 10:45-11:04; lunch is
11:04-11:30; third block runs from 11:40-1:07; fourth block from 1:15-2:40.
I teach three, 85-minute classes a day with an 85-minute prep period.
During advisory (for this term) my second block students have a three-minute
break after our class to attend to bathroom needs and then meet back in our
room for the advisory. Advisory consists of daily announcements and Channel
One (a youth orientated news program). I require my students to bring
homework and/or a book to read. I do NOT allow alot of talking and
socializing. A lot of the students are able to get work done during this
quiet period and appreciate the chance to do so. Depending on certain times
of the year, other activities can be scheduled into advisory period. For
instance, pre-registration was done, class by class, during our advisory
periods. Students can visit the Learning Center (library) or make up a
missed test/quiz with a teacher or even get extra help since we are all in
advisory at the same time. Our high school has 1600 students.