Re: Music for the Classroom - and books for art

---------

From: linda (lwoods_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 09:08:07 PST

Of the tons of books I have after 23 years...THE BOOK that I realize I
could not have survived without as a first year teacher was "Emphasis Art"
by Frank Wachowiak. This book has excellent pictures of great kid art,
great discussion of media and creative ways to use materials. It also has
wonderful sections that discuss everything from children's developmental
levels, teaching tips, and classroom management to art education
philosophy. While I no longer look at "Emphasis Art" very often, as a
beginning teacher, it was a godsend. I am basically a walking, talking
teaching offshoot of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (all my
drawing instruction is rooted in DORSof the Brain), Emphasis Art (for so
many reasons), Arts and Activites/School Arts, and my own ideas. Other
books I use are on a case by case art history basis, as needed, with a lot
of children's literature picture books, as well.

---