Re: art history more successful with skits

---------

From: Marvin P Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 06:08:58 PST

At 12:42 PM 2/13/02 -0600, you wrote:
>. . . . . My question to you is how could I improve this exercise so
that it is
>more relevant? There are no museums with permenant collections around
>here to take the kids to see the actual thing.

I read some research a few years ago about this. The article said that the
most success they had with art history in high school was when a student
team researched an artist(s) and prepared a skit and pretending to be the
artist(s). I am not currently in a high school, but I have had some
success with this with elementary education majors in college. My students
present a skit where a reporter or an art critic visits the artist in the
studio or on location and the artist explains the motivation behind the
work being done. A bit of costuming helps. The class gets to see the work
being discussed. The student who plays the artist responds to the
reporter's questions about the work. They say why it is done and kind of
method they had tried that resulted in positive evaluations from high
school students. Sorry, I no longer have the source.

I also like to have my classes do some media work that deals with similar
concepts before they study the historical work so that they understand the
historical work better. If anybody else has tried the "skit" method, let
us know how it works and how it is done.

Marvin

---