extra credit.....

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 21:01:05 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "Kathleen Shilson" <kshilson@unitelc.com>
> Bunki-
> "students can go there to pick out things they
> would like to draw for extra credit when they have finished their projects."
> How do you add extra credit into the students final grade- at the end of the
> semester? Does extra credit, if finished, bump up the students grade?
*************
First let me mention that they MUST finish their project first.

The second day of rotation I show them what a finished extra credit looks
like...with the added words..."and "I" determine if it's worth an extra
credit point". The extra credit MUST be on manila paper (so I know they
didn't trace it), must have a full composition with background, foreground
created with the item, MUST all be outlined with ink pen, and MUST be in
colored pencil. These drawings MUST have at least two days worth of work
showing...nothing scribbled or drawn without thought. They keep all their
extra credit in their folders until the last day of rotation or semester and
then they give it to me for points.

When I show them examples of good finished extra credit, I also show them
ones that I did not give extra credit to and explain why so they have a
clue.

At the end of the grading period, I add up all the grades of the projects
and get one total grade. THEN...I add each extra credit as 1 added to the
final grade. I NEVER have anyone finishing more than 3 extra credits because
the requirements are stringent. The extra credits do make a difference in
the grades of about 4 or 5 students a class. I figure if they are working
hard on an extra credit and staying on task, they deserve the boost. Kids
enjoy doing the extra credit because it's something THEY have picked out to
draw. It's a win-win for them as well as me. Toodles....Bunki

---