Re: MUSIC in the art room

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 11:48:38 PST

Hi all,
If you havenıt had the opportunity to check out West African music, you
should! My favorites come right from the country of Mali where Iım presently
teaching. Any kora music will be wonderful, but probably the most talented
kora player (itıs a 21-stringed West African instrument created from half a
large gourd covered with stretched leather, with a wooden neck) is Toumani
Diabate. Other great players include Ballake Sissoko and some from Guinea.
The music is wonderful for in the background. Toumani has a few CDıs out
with blues singer/guitarist Taj Mahal. Other great musicians here include
Ala Farka Toure (he also plays some great songs with Ry Cooder), Rokia
Traore, Boubacar Traore, Neba Solo (an awesome balaphone player), Habib
Koite, Salif Keita, and Djelimady Toukara and the Super Rail Band. A nice
compilation is a Mali/Blues CD called ³From Mali to Memphis.² If anyone is
interested in specific CDıs or artists, Iıd be happy to offer my opinions
and expertise.

--
                   |          Melissa Enderle         |
                 /)|       melissa@afribone.net.ml       |(\