Re: Books for teaching art

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 12:34:31 PST

"Erin D. Coleman" wrote:

> Hi,I am a college student and I am currently preparing a list of books
> that would be helpful for the art discipline. <snip> What would be
> good resources as I prepare to do my student teaching next fall? These
> books need to be ones other than text books, and would hopefully help
> enrich my experience in teaching in the field of art.

As a resource on artists and their works, I really like Gombrich's The
Story of Art. The latest edition is gorgeous, but about $60. You can
find older editions at used bookstores for much less. He is very
idiosyncratic and "dishy" on the artists' lives. There are many
wonderful anecdotes you can throw in while discussing an artist in
class.

Also very useful resources are Helen Hume's books A Survival Kit for the
Secondary School Art Teacher and ARt History and Appreciation Activities
Kit (which comes with slides). Many people on the list recommend
another of her books, something like The Art Teacher's Book of Lists. I
think she also has a survival kit for middle school and/or elementary
teachers, too.

You don't say what level you're teaching, but there are other books I
could recommend for secondary.

Maggie

---