Re: Background ideas?

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 11:47:25 PST

The Austin's wrote:

> I just finished self-portraits with my 7th graders. <snip> The
> drawings from this class were awesome and I was thrilled since this is a low
> level/achievement class. I was disappointed in the backgrounds tho. Due to
> time constraints (I get a new class Monday) I had them collage the
> backgrounds, and they didn't turn out as I envisioned. I would like to do
> this project again, but need some ideas for what to put on the background.

We do pastel expressionist self-portraits after the realistic pencil
ones. As part of the introduction I talk about the emotional content of
color and color combinations, then segue into symbols. I show them a
variety of symbols from various cultures and encourage them to create
their own. They may choose to include symbols in the background or just
2-3 colors that signify something to them. Don't barf, but...I DO get
the occasional happy face, yin/yang, or team logo; these are fine with
me as long as the student can justify their presence.

Maggie

---