Re: fee for art class?

---------

From: JPeterson-Shea (jpeterso_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 09:06:54 PST

I am sorry to hear that you feel that way and have felt the same from
time to time. If you need to vent I have a good cyber ear and
understand. In my district we are also being cut. We are paying 2
superintendents- the first one was politely asked to take an "extended
personal leave" because of major problems and the second one is a man
that was in the district years ago- principal- who was retired but came
back here to help the district out - he is great. But we are still
paying the first one for not being here. We are told that the district
will have between 60,000 to 180,000 less next year and the enrollment
keeps dropping. A lot of us are in the same boat I'm fairly certain.

As far as a fee and supplies, I do charge a fee. It is different for
each class depending on the cost of the supplies that I provide. I used
to provide everything down to pencils and erasers. I now make the
students provide all pencils (even colored pencils) and erasers, paint
brushes, rulers, scissors, protractor, compass, clay tools, and glue.
These were the items that were misused, stolen, and in general not taken
care of. I do have students complain about their $5-$15 fee plus having
to provide supplies and then I pull out an art catalog and show them how
much things really cost. I don't usually hear many more complaints.

Julie

---