music in the classroom

---------

From: Foell, Marlyn_at_TeacherArtExchange (Marlyn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 07:10:27 PST

I tell my students that studies show that certain kinds of music help
artists focus and become more creative. I have never had to explain e x a c
t l y which studies and what music-- fortunately they take my word. Then I
play my choices, which range all types of classical, new age, sound tracks,
etc. No lyrics allowed. No exceptions.
Sometimes they bring in something to try--usually a soundtrack they like.
I'll generally play it if there are no lyrics. That keeps us from
undesirable stuff and most instrumental only music is tolerable.
Fooling around with the TV channels or the stereo is a detention offense
that is listed on my first day handouts.

Marlyn Foell
Art Dept.
RHS--Contributing Excellence to Our Community

---