Re: Books for teaching art

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 23:47:42 PST

In a message dated 02/13/2002 10:29:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
erindc@goshen.edu writes:

> Hi,I am a college student and I am currently preparing a list of books
> that would be helpful for the art discipline. At this point my list is
> quite small, containing books such as "Drawing on the Right Side of the
> Brain," and "Advice to Young Artists in a Post-Modern Era." What would be
> good resources as I prepare to do my student teaching next fall? These
> books need to be ones other than text books, and would hopefully help
> enrich my experience in teaching in the field of art.

Here's what I recommend to my student teachers: My favorite book, my
"bible", is Understanding Modern Art by Usbourne (sp?). It's a skinny little
paperback for under $10. The museum stores have it for sure and it can be
ordered through any of the bookstores. Just love that book. Another is a
great reference for a multitude of art/art ed related topics and needs. It's
"The Art Teachers' Book of Lists"; more expensive (around $30), but worth
having. I also recommend spending a day at the library pouring over new and
old issues of Arts and Activities magazine and School Arts. Photocopy
lessons that interest you or ideas that you might want to use and develop a
folder of ideas.
Another nice book to have is "From the Ordinary to the Extraordinary" by Ken
Veigh. The author is an incredibly talented high school art teacher from New
Jersey, so this is filled with great high school level lesson ideas. I think
the publisher is Davis Books.
Good luck...Susan on Long Island

---